Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Well 2013...

Tsh over at The Art of Simple  posted 20 Questions for a New Year's Eve Reflection... and I thought I would snag a few of them and share my answers with you...
 
What was the single best thing that happened this past year?

Discovering how fortunate I am to have a dad who loves me... This year I have heard stories of fathers who gave up on their children because dealing with their ex-wife was just too hard... I have heard from daughters whose hearts are broken because of the absence of their dads.  My parents were not perfect and they have wounded me... as I'm sure I have wounded them as well... But my dad never gave up on us... He was very open about the fact that he wanted us girls to someday live with him (which we eventually did).  Even today my dad ends every phone conversation with I love you... and he calls back or texts if he forgets.

What was the single most challenging thing that happened?

House renovations... living in a construction zone with 3 children is stressful... I honestly thought about moving into a hotel a few times.

What was an unexpected joy this past year?

For sure a spontaneous overnight trip to see Mumford and Sons.  It still boggles my mind that tickets became available... childcare was worked out... and we booked a hotel all in the span of 9 hours (some of those hours being the wee hours of the night).

This is also when we discovered Craig's love for Korean BBQ.

 Pick three words to describe this past year.

Adventurous:
 We went on some really great trips this year.

Releasing:
 Expectations, fears, hurts...

Searching:
For where God wants us to be in community...

What were the best books you read this year?


  • Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone JK Rowling
  • Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets JK Rowling
  • A Tree Grows in Brooklyn  Betty Smith
  • The Night Circus Erin Morgenstern
  • Bread and Wine Shauna Niequist


In what way(s) did you grow in your relationships with others?

I am still growing in this.. but a lessons that are slowly sinking in is... Don't do nothing because you are afraid that the loving thing you are planning will somehow offend the other person... And the love you give is not about you.

Small Example: I had a serious dialogue in my head about whether or not it would be weird to mail a Christmas card to an online friend... Would she think I'm some crazy stalker? Would she think that I think we are closer than we are?  I sucked it up and sent the card... because I genuinely love that gal and I wanted her to know that I was thinking of her... and I am pretty sure she did not think any of the things I was worried about.






No comments:

Post a Comment