Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Don't Skip Valentine's Day


We've all heard it before... "Valentine's Day is a holiday Hallmark made up." "The cost of roses triples on Valentine's Day!"  "My husband/wife knows I love him/her every other day of the year. I don't need to make Valentine's Day special."

I seriously beg to differ here folks.  A quick Google search will tell you that Hallmark is not the inventor of Valentine's Day, even if they are cashing in big time on the occasion.

 Saint Valentine is the patron saint of lovers, engaged couples and happy marriages (as well as bee keepers and epilepsy just to give you your trivia quota for the day) and that is truly exciting!

Let's think of it this way.  There is a day set aside each year to celebrate love and happy marriages!  In a world where we are bombarded with terrible statistic about separation and divorce,  there is a day to remember that strong wonderful marriages exist and are worth celebrating,

  Bonnie over at The Koala Bear Writer has some fantastic Valentine's ideas that do not include triple marked up flowers or heart shaped boxes of candy. I would be ridiculously giddy about nearly everything on her list... Especially a date of reading and discussing with my Craigy... (Sorry about the mushy... but me on it's Valentine's)

If your excuse is the cost of Valentine's Day... well I gotta say I think that's pretty much a moot point.  Creativity trumps cost my friend.  Being low on funds does not get you off the hook.  Fresh baked cookies and a note in a lunch box can be the perfect way to let your spouse know that you are thrilled they are your Valentine.  Clean dishes and toilets also whisper (or in my case scream like a fangirl) "I Love YOU!"

Don't skip Valentine's Day my friends! Celebrate the love!

What are your Valentine's plans?

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the link, Sarah! I can be a bit anti-Valentine's too but I agree with you that we need to celebrate our marriage with any chance we get. :) Although I do get a bit Grinchish (to mix my metaphors) when I see KIDS and PETS doing Valentine's. I do things for my hubby, not my kids. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome... You know u think I agree with you... Kids don't need to get so wrapped up in what's supposed to be a romantic holiday!

      Delete
  2. My favourite Valentines was the first I celebrated with my hubby. He surprised me with flowers at work, and then with a freshly scrubbed bathtub filled with hot water and bath salts when I got home. I'm totally with ya, cleaning is the best valentines day present ever!! :)

    ReplyDelete